Today marks the official end of summer. Summer is usually grilling season, but since it's usually hotter than the surface of the sun on our patio in the late afternoon, we haven't been grilling much. The advent of fall means that we can finally get back out there.
These are two awesome burger recipes that we've enjoyed at our friends' houses. Once it cools down we'll try grilling them at home. They are absurdly delicious.
GOAT CHEESE-STUFFED LAMB BURGERS WITH YOGURT CUCUMBER SAUCE
Source: Raichlen’s Indoor Grilling by Steven Raichlen (Workman,2004)
For the burgers:
1-1/2 pounds ground lamb
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, or 2 teaspoons dried mint
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Greek)
1 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea) or more to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound goat cheese
For serving:
4 pita breads
4 rinsed romaine lettuce leaves
4 paper-thin slices red onion (optional)
1 medium-size cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium-size ripe tomato, thinly sliced
Yogurt Cucumber Sauce (recipe follows)
Place the ground lamb, chopped onion, garlic, mint, parsley, oregano, salt,
and pepper in a mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon to mix. Wet your
hands with cold water and divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
Working quickly and with a light touch, pat each portion into a thick patty
with a 2-ounce round of goat cheese in the center. (Make sure cheese is
completely covered with meat.) Place the patties on a plate lined with
plastic wrap and refrigerate, covered, until ready to grill.
Set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to high.
Grill the lamb burgers until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side (about
170 degrees on an instant-read meat thermometer). Remove the burgers and
cover to keep warm.
Place the pita breads on the grill, and lowering the temperature and working
in batches, if necessary, grill until toasted, about 1 minute per side.
Cut a slit in each pita. Place a lettuce leaf inside, followed by a burger, an
onion slice, if using, some cucumber and tomato slices, and a generous
dollop of yogurt sauce. Serve at once.
Yogurt Cucumber Sauce
Makes about 1-1/2 cups
1 medium-size cucumber
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt (kosher or sea), or more to taste
1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, or 1 teaspoon dried mint
Freshly ground black pepper
Peel the cucumber and cut it in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with a
melon baller or spoon. Coarsely grate the cucumber.
Place the garlic and salt in a mixing bowl and mash to a paste with the back
of a spoon. Stir in the grated cucumber, yogurt, olive oil, and mint. Taste
for seasoning, adding more salt, if necessary, and pepper to taste. The sauce
should be highly seasoned.
Oprah's Favorite Turkey Burgers
When Oprah says these "may be the best turkey burgers in the entire world," you gotta believe that she knows what she's talking about!
Ingredients:
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
3 Granny Smith apples , peeled and diced
1/8 cup canola oil
4 pounds ground turkey breast
2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp. Tabasco® chipotle pepper sauce (hello, this stuff is AWESOME!!)
1 lemon , juiced and grated zest
1/2 bunch parsley , finely chopped
1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney , pureed (try Patak's brand chutney)
Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool.Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours.Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with remaining chutney rather than ketchup. Yum!
Monday, September 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so flattered that you put our recipe on your blog! It's funny but a family member decided to start a cooking blog too that we could all contribute to, so I listed it too http://heinerfamilyrecipes.blogspot.com/
Anyway, we have to do that again sometime! I need some more of your eggplant/pepper dip. Maybe it'll bring on labor, isnt' that what they say about eggplant?
I second the "Oprah Burger." In my computer it is saved as Mar-a-Lago turkey burger. I happened to watch Oprah that day. I was at home doing wedding stuff in June, before I started my new job. I never watch the girl, but was BLESSED to be tuning in that day. I adore turkey burgers but had given up on them when I grew tired of Monterrey Steak and Grill seasoning spices. JOY entered my life when I stocked up on Major Grey's Chutney. I can only find mango chutney, but we like it. And the other funny thing is, every time I go to the store and decide to get the ingredients for the burgers, I inevitably forget if I am supposed to buy scallions or white onions. Last time I ended up with both so I sauteed the onions with the apples (skipped the celery--I didn't have the patience to chop it really finely that night) and added a few scallions in with the turkey and parsley before I let the mixture sit overnight. My other problem is pureeing such a tiny amount of Major Grey's. I ended up with a gob of goo in the bottom of my blender, since I have no other device to puree, and so I actually double the chutney, I like the taste so much, and just try to chop up the bigger chunks of mango by hand. I'm sure I've totally bastardized poor O's recipe, but we're happy. And we garnish with a little more chutney on top of every burger. Also, as I clatter on in this comment, we skipped the carbs and buns all summer in preps for October, so we eat the turkey burgers on a bed of avocados or tender bib lettuce. I like it better than a bun most times. :) Let me know if you have any tips.
Post a Comment