There is a lovely restaurant on Cornelia Street in the West Village, called "Home". It is a charming little place with a deck out back where I had my medical school graduation party.
As a graduation present, someone in my family gave me the cookbook from the restaurant. In his foreward to the book, Calvin Trilling comments on how the restaurant serves up dishes that feel home-y, but are a LITTLE more impressive than what he actually ate at home growing up.
So despite not having actually made this particular chocolate pudding at home, I will post the recipe in the spirit of 'what home might be'. Anna requested it, I think because she is going to make it for my favorite picky eater, the best 2 and a half year-old boy there ever was. I wish I could be in Cackalacky to enjoy it with them. Save some leftovers for me!
CHOCOLATE PUDDING
there's always room for chocolate
4 cups heavy cream
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granuated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Bring heavy cream to a simmer in a large saucepan, then remove from heat. Add 1 cup warm milk to chocolate in a large bowl and let stand until melted. Stir until smooth, then add remaining cream.
In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt. Gradually whisk in the chocolate and cream mixture. Strain pudding through a fine mesh and skim off the froth.
Pour into 8 6-oz ramekins and place in a bain-marie (use hot water). Cover with alumnimum foil and bake for 50 minutes until edges are set and center is still soft.
Allow to cool to room temperature, and then refrigerate for several hours.
Serve chilled.
I think it would be nice to put chocolate shavings on top. Mmm. Mmm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Abs, thanks for that recipe. I will make this version of chocolate pudding for Oliver. At least it wont have weird food additives. I doubt if I can make it any higher in calories, but if I channel Jessica Seinfeld can I sneak some nutrition in here, too? Do you think he would notice spinich puree???
What a great memory of your outdoor post-grad Home-fest, Abs (and Anna)!! Thank you for having me. It was a dreamy party. That chocolate pudding is to-die. My first "Home" turn-on was years ago when I tasted the homemade chocolate chip cookies at the door. I'm not shy saying I helped myself on the way in AND out. Who said hostess treats are only good upon exiting??! Love you both. I'm adding Cackalacky to my faves. :)
Post a Comment