Saturday, November 29, 2008

Chocolate Florentine Cookies

We had a good friend from our Ithaca days come for a visit recently. He brought with him from Boston the most delicious little numbers from Mike's Pastry, a North End institution. I never saw what the big deal was about Mike's because what most people get there are their famous cannoli. YUCK. It's fried dough with fat in the middle. Again, YUCK. Cannolis are nasty.

On the other hand, these florentine cookies are great! They are crisp and chewy, buttery and light--a little oatmeal cookie sandwich with chocolate in the middle. We couldn't stop eating them and finished the whole box in about 2 days. So, what's a girl to do but try to recreate the magic on her own.

Tried...and failed. Ok, the recipe I tried (click here) was missing what I am guessing is the critical ingredient: cream. In its place is corn syrup and white sugar. I should have known. The cookies I made were good but not great. I will have to keep trying. If anyone knows a better recipe I would love to have it!

What handsome bald men! Thank you Aaron for introducing us to florentine cookies. All prospective guests to the Cackalacky Kitchen should take note that Aaron is the current holder of the "Best Guest" award* (he was gunning for it, claiming that he brought the cookies solely because he felt that he had to out-do the Sanders AND Dave Gardiner). But...he can be stripped of this award at any time. Indeed, this award CAN BE YOURS if you come stay with us and bribe us with sweet treats.

*Please note that relatives are not eligible for this award and are not expected to engage in competitive houseguest one-up-manship.

No comments: