Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thanksgiving Recipes

So I totally forgot to take pictures of any of the gorgeous and yummy Thanksgiving dishes or the pre-Thanksgiving meal Abby and I made while she was down here for a few days before Thanksgiving. Whoops. Anyway, there were some real winners so I wanted to post the recipes and you can take my word for it that they looked great, too.

I adapted Alton Brown's recipe that you can find here. This technique is awesome because the turkey comes out tasting great and it cooks in much less time (2-2 1/2 hours) than most other recipes. I am a big proponent of brining. This year I wanted to do an apple cider brine. Abby and I tried this with a chicken the week before Thanksgiving. In both cases I'm not sure I could taste apple cider, per se, but I sure could taste "delicious". Here is my recipe.

1 (14 to 16 pound) fresh young turkey
For the brine:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon apple cider
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
3 bay leaves
1 gallon cold water

For the aromatics:
1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary

Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat:
Combine the cider, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and bay leaves in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat and cool by adding lots of ice cubes.
Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.


Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.


Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat dry with paper towels.
Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary. Tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.


Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 151 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.


Another winner recipe was Ali's cranberry salsa. I am a big fan of the cranberry jelly that comes straight out of the can (I know, I know, I got teased miserably for this, but I love it!). This recipe was a close second to the industrial cran-jelly.


Cranberry- Jalapeno Salsa

Ingredients
1 (12-ounce) package fresh or frozen cranberries
1 medium navel orange, unpeeled and coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons crystallized ginger
2 jalapeƱo peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1 cup sugar
Preparation
Pulse cranberries in a food processor until minced. Transfer to a bowl.
Pulse orange and next 4 ingredients in food processor 3 to 5 times or until orange, ginger, and pepper are finely chopped. Stir into cranberries; cover and chill, if desired.



And finally, Ryan's favorite part of the meal...the chocolate pie that Kim made. It was amazing. She found the recipe at Pioneer Woman Cooks, but I doubt that if I had tried to recreate this recipe I could have done it as well as she. She really knocked this one out of the park. You can click on the PW Cooks link above for a full blow-by-blow instructions (with gorgeous photos) or just follow the recipe below.


Delicious! Chocolate Pie
2 sticks regular butter, softened

1 1/2 cups sugar
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
1 baked pie shell
whipped cream

Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then mix in cooled melted chocolate. Add vanilla and mix. Turn the mixer to medium speed, then add in the four eggs, one at a time, mixing for 4 to 6 minutes after the addition of each egg. Scrape sides of bowl once during mixing. Pour into the cooled pie shell and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight. Plop whipped cream on top and serve. Garnish with chocolate curls if you’re feeling sassy.

No comments: