I love the evolution of this blog from the subject to food to really a discussion of the same things that would occupy a kitchen in real life. Yes, of course, food is central to the discussion, but also those issues that would come up as we chopped and stirred together. I remember when Mommy first taught us how to make Lemon Meringue Pie in our ancient stove in Tappan, NY. As she cautioned us not to lick the gooey lemon stuff before it cooled off, I had my first sense that the heart of a home is in its kitchen.
Midway through my rotation where I spend every night on the labor floor for a month, I find myself longing for mealtime and all that means to me... Together, the night team orders food from any of a few restaurants that serve the Washington Heights area. It is truly a melting pot. We order Mexican food cooked by Chinese people, Asian food cooked by Dominicans, and Indian food that would be unrecognizable to any actual Indian person. But it gets us through the nights - and at 2 am, cold leftovers of almost anything seem delicious.
Nibbling pizza crust in the conference room, I find myself looking forward to the Presidents' Weekend trip that Adam and I have planned to go to Unadilla with some of our friends. We are basically planning to hang around and cook food together. Play some games. Maybe go on a side trip to the metropolis of Cooperstown. I am so excited for this weekend of slow living. Now I pose the question to the Cackalacky Kitchen: what is the recipe for comfort, relaxation, and laughing away the icy winter blues?
Here are my first ideas a menu. Perhaps you (Anna or anyone else!) can suggest alterations or your favorite comfort/group fun recipes?
FRIDAY: Folks will be arriving at different times, mostly after dinner, so we anticipate a spread of charcuterie (soppresata, of course) and some stinky cheese, bread, grapes
SATURDAY Brunch: French toast, sausage or bacon
Snacks: chips and salsa, guacamole, apples and pears
Dinner: Roast chicken or Pork loin, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad and warm rolls.
Dessert: Ice cream sundaes
SUNDAY Brunch: Omlettes, muffins (blueberry?)
Dinner: OUT
Dessert: Make your own cupcakes
MONDAY Breakfast: Bagel buffet
Even writing about this is a welcome escape. I've got one eye on the fetal heart monitors of my laboring patients as I write this. It's a reverse evolution: as we get busier and more technological, the simple things seem like a great breakthrough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Abs, sounds like you have a fun weekend in store for yourselves and your guests. I hope you guys have a great time. I love you!
Post a Comment