Monday, October 20, 2008

Decidedly un-Delicious




In an effort to find some way to feed Oliver something besides Pediasure I have sought the culinary advice of Jessica Seinfeld, wife of none other than comedian Jerry Seinfeld, and author of Deceptively Delicious, a cookbook made famous by its spinach-laden brownie recipe. The idea is that you can sneak veggies into your kids' food by pureeing it and then mixing hidden veggies into everything from brownies to mac-n-cheese (cauliflower and carrots). I have finally found a use for the Cuisinart coffee grinder dad gave me a few years ago! I have been pureeing like a mad woman.

Some of my successes involve butternut squash (pasta sauce) and sweet potatoes (waffles). But this weekend I went for the real challenge: Beets.


Man, I so want to like beets. They are SO nutritious. They are loaded with antioxidants and other disease-fighting compounds, but YUCK. They just taste so gross!! I made a lovely magenta puree. In a Mason jar it looks like a precious gem, something unearthed by one of the Seven Dwarfs. I should just leave it in the fridge to admire and call it good. On Saturday I tried to mix a little into pancake batter. Ryan encouragingly said that once you add butter and syrup you can hardly taste the beets. Hmm...not exactly a glowing review. But for my breakfast this morning I reached new depths of yuckiness. I tried to mix in some beet puree into my yogurt. It looked like borscht. The picture below gives you an idea, but mine didn't have any beet chunks (the picture below actually IS borscht. Thank you, Internet). I added maple syrup but I couldn't mask the beet-y flavor. Being my father's daughter, I DID eat it. I felt virtuous as I choked down my beet yogurt (I made a parfait with Fiber One cereal...as if it could get any worse!!! Oh, the humanity!) Anyway, this is an experiment that I will not try again.

3 comments:

April said...

I have this book, but I have not made the first thing out of it. I am going to have to step it up and try it.

Rachel said...

So funny, I can't believe you didn't have this book already. As soon as I heard of it, I thought of you because it sounds like something you would do. And Matt hates beets with all his soul like you, and I love them, too funny!

Rain in My Head said...

She definitely has some good recipes. The only thing I like the beets in are the brownies.