NOT to be deterred, I take every opportunity to go completely overboard when an opportunity to catch up on these activities arises. Thanksgiving, of course, is just such an opportunity. Especially when it follows a perfectly-timed visit to the CK motherland (Anna's kitchen). I spent a few days in Raleigh, where we did some practice rounds of cooking and had a wonderful time. Ollie helped me make some pumpkin chocolate chip mini-muffins that were so good even HE ate a few without being begged.
So I ventured back to the Big Apple on Thanksgiving, and started to make plans for our big feast. (Which my co-conspirator Adam and I planned for Saturday because of work/family schedules.) After a few emails, and a quick strategy session, we made a bunch of lists and schedules for the day and we managed to pull of a well-organized and over-the-top dinner for our friends and family.
On Saturday morning, Adam and I headed to the Greenmarket - a Farmer's Market for the ages - and came back with piles of produce, fresh cream and butter, and warm bread to serve alongside the 15 pound turkey he had stuck in the fridge to brine the night before. (Have I mentioned yet that we were going to be seven for dinner?)
Roasted garlic and herb dip
Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon
Green bean casserole (recipe straight from grandmothers in Michigan)
Smashed Red Bliss potatoes
The Bird
Cranberry Sauce
Ginger-Pecan pumpkin pie
Chocolate orange pots de creme
4 comments:
Holy Cannoli! (I've been waiting to use that expression) Abs, does that pie taste even a bit as awesome as it looks? Man, that looks great. Your turkey looks tasty, too. What did you use in the brine? We brined our bird, too but added more salt than we used for the cider roasted chicken we made when you were here. It turned out really well.
The pie was awesome. It's the recipe on epicurious for "Great Pumpkin Pie" and it really was great. And the brine was a mix that Adam got at whole foods. It was very juicy, but a tiny bit too salty... Maybe somewhere in between our cider brine and this would have been perfect. There's always next year ;)
Abigail:
Your Thanksgiving dinner looks divine. I was just wondering though, what was Anna doing that day?
Unfortunately, my dear sister and the full Halverson brood were still in Raleigh.... We had our feast on Saturday in the Big Apple.
Post a Comment